Police Blotter, Week of Nov. 28, 2012

A worker at a Financial District parking garage was killed on Mon., Nov. 26, after an apparent mistake caused a car to roll of an elevator lift and fall on him, police said.

Victoriano Vizciano, 45, of the Bronx, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 7 a.m. inside the Icon Parking garage on Barclay Street, between Church Street and Broadway. He was crushed by a Mercury Mountaineer S.U.V., which fell from a height of approximately six feet, police said. Another garage attendant had accidentally left the S.U.V. in neutral while it was still on the lift, according to police.

A 15-year-old boy was viciously attacked by another teen while waiting for a subway train in Bowling Green on Wed., Nov. 21.

The victim told police that, as he was walking down the northbound 4 train platform at the Bowling Green station at around 3 p.m., he was suddenly punched in the face by an unknown perp whom he didn’t catch sight of. The attacker was apparently holding a sharp weapon of some kind, police said, because the punch left a deep slash in the side of the victim’s face.

The boy was taken to New York-Presbyterian Hospital, where he was reportedly in stable condition. Witnesses described the attacker as a black male, approximately 15 years old, 5’9’’ and 140 pounds.

A woman’s laptop was stolen after she inadvertently left it behind inside a Starbucks in the Financial District on Thurs., Nov. 8 — and then she thought she saw the same laptop being sold on the Internet just days later.

The 27-year-old woman told police that she forgot to take her $1,500 Macbook out of the Fulton St. Starbucks that night, and when she returned to find it, it was gone. The identity of the perp remains unknown, but the woman returned to police on Nov. 19 to tell them that she might have found the stolen laptop being advertised on Craigslist.

In the police report, it was unclear how the woman was able to distinguish the computer as hers, and cops have not yet identified any suspects from the listing on the popular website.

A woman was shoved and robbed while riding an E train through the Canal Street station early on Tues., Nov. 5.

The victim, 30, told police that she had gotten onto the subway train at the Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer stop in Queens at around 4:50 a.m. and fell asleep about a half hour later as the train headed toward Manhattan. When her train pulled into the Canal Street stop at around 5:30 a.m., the woman said she felt a man reach into her front jacket pocket, where she had placed her cell phone.

The woman attempted to get up and fend off the unknown robber, she told police, but he pushed her forcefully, snatched the phone and fled through the open train doors.

She described the perp as a black male with Afro-textured hair, approximately 35 years old, 5’11’’ and 215 pounds.

This visitor from Cambridge, England found her wallet lifted from under her nose while eating lunch.

On Tues., Nov. 20, a woman, 66, placed her handbag beneath the table at her feet and continued her luncheon at Arome, a café on 5 Dey St. She reached down for it at the end of her meal and noticed that it had mysteriously migrated to the next table over. After retrieving it, the woman realized that the chain on her wallet had been cut, and the wallet, containing $105 in cash, was gone. Her cell phone, a Samsung Galaxy II valued at $750, had also been purloined.

Twenty-seven people were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in the basement of a Downtown office tower at 55 Water St., according to news reports. At about 9:30 a.m., on Fri., Nov. 23, a fire erupted in the water-ravaged basement of the office building and created large quantities of smoke.

Four people were taken to New York Downtown Hospital for medical treatment. Brad Gerla, representing the C.B.R.E. Group, a broker for the property, said the building is set to reopen on Thurs., Nov. 29.

The 53-story building is home to the Department of Transportation, the financial rating company Standard and Poor’s and other city agencies and private companies. According to the New York Times, the cause of the fire appeared to be a faulty feeder cable, which was re-energized that morning during repair work to electrical cables that were damaged during the storm. However, a Fire Department spokesperson would not confirm this information and otherwise declined to comment.

Con Edison reportedly denied responsibility for the blaze, claiming that the problem was on the customer’s side. Reportedly, four Con Edison power lines run into the building, two of which were seamlessly restored.

More than 80 firefighters responded to the incident. At least one of the 27 people treated for smoke inhalation was a firefighter.

— Sam Spokony and Kaitlyn Meade

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *