Police Blotter, Week of Oct. 10, 2012

Murder suspect flees U.S.
The man suspected of brutally murdering a suburban youth soccer coach in Union Square on Sun., Oct. 7, has reportedly evaded authorities by fleeing to Mexico.

The suspect — alternately known as Orlando Orea or Orlando Gutierrez, 32, of Queens — bought a one-way ticket with cash and flew out of Kennedy Airport on an Aero Mexico plane early on Tuesday, according to unnamed sources cited in the New York Post.

The victim, Michael Jones, 25, who was born in the United Kingdom and lived in Westchester, was found dead on the sidewalk on W. 14th St. near Fifth Ave. on Sunday, with multiple stab wounds to the head, neck and chest. One of his ears had also been cut off.

Police were able to identify the suspect — who was caught on video surveillance leaving the scene of the crime — after a West Village bartender told them the suspect was a regular at a bar called Bunga’s Den on W. 14th St., and that he frequented a local tattoo parlor, the Post reported.

Tompkins rape arrest
A homeless man was arrested after he allegedly raped a woman in Tompkins Square Park on Fri., Oct. 5.

Ruben Canales, 27, is believed to have raped a 31-year-old woman after he saw her sleeping on a bench in the park around 11:30 p.m., police said. He was caught after following the woman into a nearby deli after she eventually ran away, where deli employees had called the police.

Washington Sq. butt slapper
Police arrested Mayank Munsiff, 55, early on Sun., Oct. 7, after he slapped a young woman on the buttocks as she was walking near Washington Square Park.

The woman, 25, had been walking along Washington Square South around midnight when Munsiff passed her from the opposite direction, smacked her buttocks and continued walking, police said.

Munsiff was charged with forcible touching, sexual abuse and harassment. He has also been arrested for two previous sex-related crimes within the last six months, the New York Post reported.

Jamal Pulley, 30, was arrested early on Sun., Oct. 7, after he led police on a wild car chase through the West Village during which he hit six different vehicles, leaving two people injured.

The chase began after Pulley blew through a police D.W.I. checkpoint at West Houston St., between Washington and West Sts., around 1:30 a.m., police said. He then tried to evade pursu- ing officers by driving north up West St., blowing through two different red lights.

When he reached the intersection of Bethune and West Sts., Pulley attempted to steer around traffic but struck three other vehicles in the process, according to the police report. After frantically turning east on Bethune St., he then hit a fourth vehicle head on, and subsequently smashed into two parked cars after losing control.

After finally pulling him out of the car and arresting him for vehicular assault, police discovered that Pulley had also been driving without a valid license.

Search for slay suspect
Police are searching for Joshua Nunez, 21, the prime suspect in the murder of Charles Ferndandez, 29, outside a Lower East Side barbershop on Sat., Oct. 6.

Nunez is believed to have shot Fernandez in the chest at around 9:30 p.m. following a fight inside Jose Beauty Salon and Barber Shop on Forsyth St., between Delancey and Broome Sts., police said. Fernandez, who lived on Mott St., took a cab to Bellevue Hospital after the shooting but died upon arriving.

The Post reported that police identi- fied Nunez as the suspect on Tues., Oct. 9, and that he and Fernandez had known each other prior to the shooting, according to sources.

Nunez has an extensive criminal background, including arrests for reck- less endangerment, drug-impaired driving, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct, the Post also reported.

Bogus bills
Jeffrey Gibbs, 27, was arrested after passing off fake $100 bills at a Meatpacking District restaurant on Fri., Oct. 5.

Gibbs brought drinks around 8 p.m. at Fig & Olive, at 420 W. 13th St., using one of the counterfeit bills, and pocketed the real cash he received as change, according to the police report. But the restaurant got wise and reported the crime to police, who quickly arrested Gibbs and also found other fake hundreds in his pocket.

He is charged with criminal possession of a forged instrument.

Police arrested Angelo Guzman, 23, early on Sat., Oct. 6, after he sucker- punched a man inside a West Village nightclub and then tried to fight the bouncers who kicked him out.

Witnesses told police they saw Guzman punch the 22-year-old man, who wasn’t looking at him, around 3:30 a.m in the club at 154 Bleecker St. And while secu- rity was removing him from the estab- lishment, Guzman continued to vent his anger by attempting to have it out with the club’s security.

Police officers stopped Guzman shortly after the incident and charged him with assault — but they added a resisting arrest charge to that when he began flailing his arms and legs, and grabbing the officer’s shirt.

Knife-wielding robber
Police are looking for Giovonnie Gray, 18, after he allegedly robbed a man and threatened him with a knife outside a Soho convenience store on Wed., Oct. 3.

The victim, 20, told police he was just walking with a female friend to the store to buy Newport cigarettes around 7 p.m., when the friend asked him to check something on his phone. As he took the phone out, Gray snatched it and ran away, police said.

When the unsuspecting victim fol- lowed the thief across the street to try to take the phone back, Gray said, “Don’t come near me or I’ll stab you,” according to the police report. He then grabbed the man, pushed him against a car and brandished a pocketknife before fleeing the scene.

Police described Gray as black, 5 feet 9 inches tall and 250 pounds. Gray also knew the victim prior to robbing him, according the police report.

Sam Spokony

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *