Police Blotter

East Side killing

An argument between two young men on the Lower East Side turned violent at 2:29 a.m. Thurs. Aug. 21, leaving one of them on the sidewalk at Stanton and Clinton Sts. with fatal stab wounds, police said. The victim, Jeffrey Carter, 19, of 189 Allen St., was taken to Bellevue Hospital where he was pronounced dead a half-hour later.

Police said two off-duty detectives, Howard Shank and Steve Nieves, were nearby and caught the suspect after a short chase. The knife was also recovered, police said. Jesse Wilson, 21, of 1035 Blake Ave., Brooklyn, was charged with murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

Police said the two men knew each other and had been at odds recently over a woman. Police are still investigating the case.

More blackout thefts

Thieves took $20,000 from the office of New York Immigration Services, a for-profit consulting and service firm, at 315 Broadway near Thomas St. sometime between 4 p.m. Aug. 14 when the blackout began and 5 p.m. Aug. 16 after the lights went on, police said. There was no forced entry but a side door to the building had been left open, police said. The money had been left in the office because bank deposit devices were not working during the power outage, police said.

A restaurant at 141 Fulton St. was the target of thieves who entered the ground floor through an unlocked door and took a total of $1,500 from the main floor and from an office in the basement sometime between the afternoon of Aug. 14 and the evening of Aug. 16, police said.

Thieves took $1,080 worth of eyewear from an optician’s office on the sixth floor of a building at One Maiden La. sometime during the blackout, police said. The suspects apparently entered through an unlocked door. The theft was discovered when the store opened for business on Monday morning.

Bicycle thief

Burglars broke into the ground floor office of Allegro Speedy Mail at 264 West St. at the corner of Vestry St. in Tribeca on Sun. Aug. 17 and made off with a computer and a bicycle, police said. The thieves broke the lock on a window gate and smashed the window to enter the place.

Gold rush

A man walked into Gold Rush, a jewelry store at 116 Fulton St., at 3:45 p.m. Thurs Aug. 14, asked a sales clerk for help in viewing merchandise and walked out with $2,500 in jewelry after she turned to help another customer, police said. The worker had taken a tray of jewelry out from under the counter to help the suspect, posing as a customer, choose an item, police said. The suspect, described only as a 6’1” man, fled on foot with the tray.

Robbed by guests

A man who invited three strangers he met in a club to his apartment at 99 Vandam St. was beaten and robbed shortly before 2 a.m. Sat. Aug 16, police said. The strangers, two women and a man, jumped him soon after they entered his apartment and took his wallet with $150 in cash. The victim sustained a slight injury on the left side of his head, police said.

Fulton St. robbery

Four men, who entered Fulton St. Imaging, a photo shop on the ground floor of 127 Fulton St. at about 4 p.m. Mon. Aug.18, robbed the place of $6,800, police said. One of robbers pulled a gun, marched an attendant to the back and told him to lie down. Another suspect forced two other employees to the rear. All three were robbed of a total of $4,500. The four suspects took about $2,300 from the cash register and fled out the back door on Ann St. Police canvassed the area but could make no arrests.

Robber foiled

A woman walking into the A,C,E station on Church and Vesey Sts at 11:50 p.m. Mon. Aug. 18 was grabbed from behind by a man with a knife who said, “Give me everything you’ve got,” according to police. When the woman pulled away and said, “You get nothing,” the robber fled into the subway station and onto a northbound E train.

Parking lot break-in

Thieves cut the locks of the attendant’s booth of a parking lot at 370 Canal St. at W. Broadway on the night of Mon. Aug. 18 and made off with a metal box with $854, police said.

Lost bag

A woman told police that she left her bag on a bench at the corner of Cedar St. and Broadway at 5:45 p.m. Sat. Aug. 16, went into the subway, took a train but returned at 6:15 p.m. when she realized she didn’t have her bag. It was gone, along with a cell phone, $15 in cash and credit cards.

—Albert Amateau

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *